Oral Hygiene Recommendations in the Age of Pinterest & Dr. Google- Mia L. Geisinger, DDS, MS
Wednesday, Oct 6, 2021
2:30pm – 5:00pm
Type of Course: Pt Communications
CE Credits: 2.0
Please note registration will close on Sept 28, 2021 or when it becomes fully booked, whichever comes 1st. Only a few seats remain. Thank you
Who: This course is appropriate for dentists, hygienists, assistants and business professionals.
DATE: October 6th, 2021
EVENT TIME: 2:30-5pm
This meeting will be held via Zoom.
Four of the top 5 results for a Google search for “Best Toothpaste” yield dentifrices that do not contain fluoride and are not approved by the American Dental Association (ADA). A Pinterest search for “Oral Hygiene” reveals everything from a recommendation for homemade bicarbonate toothpaste to oil pulling to a detailed description of the optimal method of flossing. In 2016 the Associated Press published an article entitled “Turns out Flossing is Overrated” claiming that there is no evidence that flossing affords an adjunctive benefit to brushing. With all of the information our patients are bombarded with, how do we help them develop an individualized course of oral home care practices and products that best suit their needs to optimize and maintain their oral health? This course focuses on an evidence-based, patient-centered approach to oral hygiene and an informed discussion of the vast array of oral hygiene products that our patients may be using.
Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
• Address “Flossgate” questions generated by patients related to media coverage of the omission of flossing recommendations from the 2015-2020 U.S. Dietary Guidelines.
• Apply the current scientific literature about the benefits, if any, of flossing and other interdental cleaning aids in addition to tooth brushing in their practice for patient benefit.
• Discuss with patients the optimal strategies and rationale for oral hygiene, including interdental cleaning.
• Discuss currently marketed products for oral home care and the evidence that supports and/or does not support their use.
• Discuss holistic and/or anecdotal practices for oral hygiene and their background as well as the current evident, or lack therof, to support their implementation.
• Develop home care recommendations that focus on evidence based strategies for oral health and emphasize individualized patient care recommendations based upon patient needs.
• Discuss the importance of preventive strategies for oral diseases including maintaining good oral hygiene in order to promote oral and overall well-being with a wide range of interdisciplinary colleagues and patients.
Mia L. Geisinger, DDS, MS is a Professor and Director of Advanced Education in Periodontology in the Department of Periodontology in the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) School of Dentistry. Dr. Geisinger received her BS in Biology from Duke University, her DDS from Columbia University School of Dental Medicine, and her MS and Certificate in Periodontology and Implantology from the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Dr. Geisinger is a Diplomate in the American Board of Periodontology. She has served as the President of the American Academy of Periodontology Foundation, as the Chair of the American Dental Association’s Council on Scientific Affairs, and on multiple national and regional organized dentistry committees. She currently serves as an AAP District III Trustee and on numerous AAP and ADA committees and task forces. She has authored over 50 peer-reviewed publications and her research interests include periodontal and systemic disease interaction, implant dentistry in the periodontally compromised dentition, and novel treatment strategies for oral soft and hard tissue regeneration. She lectures nationally and internationally on topics in periodontology and oral healthcare.
Attendees will receive 2 CE’s
Any Questions please direct to email@example.com. We ask you do not call our offices regarding this event as they will not be able to assist you with any registration questions or concerns.
EACH ATTENDEE WILL NEED THEIR OWN LINK TO RECEIVE CE CREDIT. PLEASE SIGN UP YOUR TEAM WITH THEIR INDIVIDUAL EMAIL ADDRESS FOR ATTENDANCE CONFIRMATION AND CE DISTRIBUTION.